Friday, August 18, 2006

L'Artisan du Libon

I've had a difficult time finding beadwork in Lebanon. I've looked for blogs and websites, but all in English (perhaps I should try French). I did find one website, L'Artisan du Libon, which is a collective of individual artisans who make a variety of middle-eastern items for home decorating and adornment. The collective is run by three women and it employs over 800 women in their homes. I found an interesting article about this cooperative and you can read about them by clicking on the title above.

They also have a website called "Alyad" which features a large number of items. I scrolled through the items for sale and found some lovely tassled pieces under the category "Salon J06". They also have some beautiful drawer pulls made with stamped metals and glass beads. You can get to their website by clicking HERE.

I am wondering if perhaps part of my difficulty in finding any beadwork is due, in part, to the extensive bombing that has taken place (the sites are offline?). I've focused on Beirut, since it was such a cosmopolitan city. I've found a woman who sells her artwork on the cafepress shops HERE and she has a blog HERE. If anyone has a website or blog to share, please write to me, I'd love to post it!

, , , ,

No comments: