Friday, September 15, 2006

Franco-American Beadwork

Okay, I couldn't think of a better title for this post. After being inspired by Marie Geraud of Biloba Bijoux, I ventured out to try beading with a sew on bezel and this is what I came up with. Marie says it looks distinctively American. I think it looks Art Deco. At any rate, it is a blend of both French and American beadwork styles.

This is my first piece using this method. I loved working with the metal bezels, it gives the work a sense of permanence, something that I feel is occasionally lost with just beadwork alone. I call this piece "L'inspiration des Biloba Bijoux". It's a substantial piece; each flower is the size of a half dollar. I'm working on taking a better picture. Hope you like it in the meantime.
French beaded bracelet
, , , , ,

5 comments:

olga said...

I love this inspiration of Biloba's jewels! This is very elegant!!!

SuzyQ said...

Hi Olga,
Thank you! It's a "first draft" - I'm already thinking about how to change it. I'm not entirely sure what I'll do next....but design is like that...an experimental process. I'm so glad you like it!!!!!
Sue

beadbabe49 said...

very classy!

SuzyQ said...

Hi Bobbi,
Thank you :)
It was a fun "bead as you go" experiment and I am pleased with how it turned out. The sew on settings provide a wonderful little armature to work with, so it will be interesting to see where this takes me next.
Thanks for the positive words :)
How has your venture with this style of work been coming along? I'll have to check out your blog.....
I can't wait to see where this leads us all!
Best wishes
Sue

Debra Miller said...

Another new adventure ~ how beautiful and exciting! I like your choice of the clasp too. :)