Wednesday, October 25, 2006

More Bead Embroidery


Bobbi Kirk asked me about the back of the bead embroidered bracelet I did for my class. Unfortunately, yesterday I backed the bracelet with a sandwich of steam-a-seam and a second piece of suede cloth. The suede cloth (available locally, but not my preference - I prefer ultrasuede) shows little bumps on the back - these are my knots where I start and stop the thread. It's not terribly noticeable, but I am a perfectionist so it won't happen again! Because I use the steam-a-seam, which is essentially a heat set glue, in the future I am going to eliminate my knots and instead do a tiny single stitch to secure the threads....


I've also taken a picture of what has proven to be a challenge. I started on the Iris project in the summer. I took a sewing class this fall as a motivator to finish the embroidery and create the final piece. The lining for the final piece was a template for the embroidery. In transferring the image to the embroidery I considered many options. Finally, I ended up at our local sewing store which has been in business for 30 years. I asked the owner if she had a nifty solution for image transfer (other than pen) and she swore by a product called "Sulky Heat Away". She was quite enthusiastic - "Add just a little heat with an iron and it will disintegrate before your eyes!"

Let me first say this. Never use Sulky Heat Away. Secondly, ALWAYS test out a new product. I did neither. I beaded away for the entirety of my class only to find that when I tried to remove the Sulky Heat Away, it wasn't quite so easy. First, it takes an EXTREMELY HOT iron. Second, I used NYMO thread for my embroidery. Even with using an extremely hot iron and a press cloth, the Sulky Heat Away didn't budge. No disintegration. Trust me, that iron was HOT! (note the vertical lines the iron almost melted into the fabric)

So what I am picturing here is my piece, not quite finished and after three hours of picking away the Sulky Heat Away with a needle. I also used scissors but I quickly switched to a needle after I started cutting up my embroidery threads........

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH. Lesson learned: ALWAYS TEST A NEW PRODUCT. I knew better and I didn't do it.

4 comments:

angelique said...

OHHHH! That's pretty!...and of course i Love your blog! i learned a lot!

SuzyQ said...

Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

That is gorgeous!! As you know, I just use tracing paper and stitch it directly to my piece, and sew right through it:)

SuzyQ said...

Hi,
Thanks so much. I am going to try your method next time, the Sulky was such a mess!!!! Incidentally, I sent all my students to your blog to see your fabulous creations :)!!!!