Friday, March 09, 2007

Meeting and Passing

Dear readers,
Today I was reading one of my favorite poets and came across a poem that made me stop and read it twice. It is a story about two people who meet and pass; it is about sharing what we know and what we experience. I could not help but think about this wonderful medium called 'blogging'. I hope you enjoy this poem as I have:


As I went down the hill along the wall
There was a gate I had leaned at for the view
And had just turned from when I first saw you
As you came up the hill. We met. But all
We did that day was mingle great and small
Footprints in summer dust as if we drew
The figure of our being less than two
But more than one as yet. Your parasol

Pointed the decimal off with one deep thrust.
And all the time we talked you seemed to see
Something down there to smile at in the dust.
(Oh, it was without prejudice to me!)
Afterward I went past what you had passed
Before we met and you what I had passed.

Robert Frost, 1920


À mes amis français, c'est une poésie par Robert Frost. C'est environ deux personnes qui se réunissent un jour d'été. On descend une colline. L'autre marche vers le haut de la colline. Ils marchent à côté d'un long mur. Ils se réunissent à une porte et cessent de parler. Alors ils continuent sur leurs chemins. La personne qui descend la colline marche maintenant le long du chemin que l'autre personne marchait. C'est une poésie au sujet de partager ce que nous savons et ce que nous éprouvons. Il est au sujet de la façon dont nos vies s'affectent. C'est cette idée qui des marques il beau.

1 comment:

beadbabe49 said...

It's lovely...thanks for the reminder of how much I like robert frost...