Thursday, February 25, 2010

Beading on the Horizon

It's been a lovely, blistery cold winter (one of my favorite seasons!) which has forced me to sit down and bead (my favorite activity!). Have you been busy beading too?

I've been absent from the Beadweaver blog for a few weeks while I hunker down to create items for an upcoming Art Festival: The Festa Botanica at the Turtle Bay Botanical Gardens this spring. I was honored to be an invited participant in this juried show. Here are a few items I thought you'd like to see:

Earrings inspired by my friend & French artist Marie Giraud's work:
romance earrings
Bracelets inspired by my collaboration with my friend & mentor, South African artist Nicholas Kap:
Versailles

Cuffs inspired by my work with my friend & American artist Louise Hill:

In other news, I've been looking at the lovely new beading books that are coming out this spring. Be sure to check out this one from publishers of Bead Style magazine: "Simply Stylish Chain and Metal Jewelry". In addition to chain and metal, the book also has gorgeous projects incorporating beads, crystals, gemstones, and pearls. Combining beadwork with prefabricated metal and chain is a great way to save time (and add to the perceived value, especially if you use sterling and gold). And as with all of the projects from Bead Style magazine, the step by step instructions are very good.


I've been busy over at Etsy, adding some beads to my Beadweaver shop. For the Versailles bracelet pattern I've just listed those gorgeous rose opalescent seed beads and violet rose champagne crystals. Many of my customers have had difficulty sourcing these so I'm offering them for a limited time (while supplies last!):
This winter I also updated my personal website to include some of my photography. I get requests for these pictures from time to time so I thought I'd put them online. Be sure to check out the special section on South Africa (I've only posted from one CD and have 2,000 more photos to go through!). The South African photos were taken by my husband who is a very talented photographer:

Finally, I thought I'd share with you some great 'alternative weaving' finds on the 'net (there's so much inspiration out there!):
Paper Phine
Vaida Petreikiene
Meghan Price
American Craft Council, Baltimore

"Adornment is never anything except a reflection of the heart."
- Coco Chanel


Until next time,
Suzy-Q, Beadweaver

1 comment:

Megamall said...

Those are beautiful pieces you made, especially the earrings.